The Jesuits

In Goa from 1542 – 1759. Again from 1890

Brief Historical Background:
Founded by St Ignatius of Loyola, the Society of Jesus was approved by Pope Paul III in 1540. St. Francis Xavier was among the first Jesuits who came to Goa two years alter and evolved a gigantic missionary activity in the East. During their first two-century long stay in India, the Jesuits were responsible for the foundation of many churches and educational institutions, among which the Basilica of Bom Jesus and St. Paul’s College in Old Goa. The Society promotes social, educational, scientific and cultural works, besides directing retreats in the manner of St. Ignatius. They count today more than 22 thousand members and around a thousand novices worldwide.

Superior General:
Borgo S. Spirito 4, 1-00193, Roma-Prati, Italy.

Provincial Superior:
Jesuit House, P.B. 112, Panjim, Goa 403001 Tel (0832) 222890 Fax:(91-832)2228290 Email