St Anthony Royal Chapel, Old Goa, Goa

The St Anthony Royal Chapel, Old Goa, Goa is located in Old Goa, close to the ruins of the present location of the Convent of St Augustine at a distance of around 800 metres from the Se Cathedral. It was founded by a Portuguese friar on a location called Monte Santo in 1543. St Anthony was chosen as the patron of the Chapel due to close devotion to the Saint by the person funding the construction, besides St Anthony also being the Patron saint of the Portuguese Army and Navy. The Chapel was closed for a long time and re opened in 1894 after being restored at the expenses of the State. It was made into a national monument in 1932 and was put under the commission of the Convent of Santa Monica.

The Royal Chapel of St. Anthony is a semicircular small structure. The facade exhibits a unique style which cannot be found in any  other chapel in Goa. The Royal Chapel of St Anthony faces to the east and its belfries give it a fortress like appearance. The doorway features a semi circular arch and twisted pilasters. The shutter exhibits the famous Augustinian symbol of the pelican feeding its offspring. The clerestory windows light up the interior of the chapel, which is exquisitely finished and richly ornamented.

The Statue of St. Anthony adorns the main altar. The side altars were dedicated to Our Lady of Fevers and St. Cosmo & Damian. The walls of the St Anthony Royal Chapel have four frescoes with the pictures of the five doctors of the Church. A painting of Our Lady of fever carrying a beautiful poem is also exhibited in the church. The poem includes two verses concerning the spiritual fever.

The statue of St Anthony was given the rank of captain of the army with a salary due to his rank. This statue was even taken in solemn procession to the State Treasury Office where the treasurer would respectfully deposit, in the hands of the statue, the salary due to him.

This chapel is one of the uniquely built Chapels among the different Goan Chapels and Goan Churches which dot the Goan landscape.

It is now the formation house of the congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth which is a Diocesan Congregation.







Patron Saint