The Mount Carmel Chapel is based in Ponda and was originally built for the military battalion stationed at Ponda, Goa.The chapel was built by a provision of 13 May 1782 on the instructions of Colonel Antonio de Assa Castelo Branco who was a commander of the Royal Legion for the Province of Ponda. The Vicar based at Ponda in that year was Fr Filipe Osorio from Raia, Goa.
From 1981 onwards the chapel witnessed a lot of activity like Marriages and Baptisms because of its ideal location. From 1962 the chapel was under the administration of the order of the Franciscan Frairs as they also administered the Ponda Parish. The Franciscan Friars have completed more than 50 years of service in the Parish and celebrated their golden jubilee year of service in 2012.